How To: Configure Return Reasons
Return reasons are used by the system to perform stock movements on the returning item(s). The return reason can also be used for returns analysis purposes. Users set up a default processing type in relation to the return reason, for example, if an item was lost in transit, the return reason could be 'Lost in transit' and the default processing type "Stock missing". This processing type could also apply to perishable goods. The processing type allows the system to correctly book items back into stock when returned. For example, linking the return reason "Goods damaged" to a default processing type "Quarantine" will ensure items returned do not go back into main stock and will move into quarantine. The processing types can be changed from the default to a different type within the returns document itself, if required.
Note: a number of default return reasons and processing types have already been created for your system. New combinations can be set up to suit your individual requirements by creating new return reasons and linking them to an appropriate default processing type. Note that whilst you can create new return reasons, the processing types are hard coded into the system and therefore cannot be edited or added to.
- Open a System Data screen .
- Double click on
[ Sales Order Processing | Return Reasons ].
- Press to enter edit mode. + or click
- Press to add a new item. or click
- In the Return Reason column, enter the Return Reason, for example; 'Customer cancelled', 'Incorrect pick' or 'Damaged'.
- In the Processing Type column, enter the default processing type (the action the system will carry out) by pressing
, for example:
- Return to Stock: puts the item(s) back into stock for resale.
- Return to Supplier: allows the user to create a supplier return and puts the item(s) into the Returns Bin.
- Quarantine: puts the item(s) into quarantine. This allows the user to inspect the physical item(s) and decide what to do, for example perform a write off or release into stock for resale.
- Stock missing: does not update the stock levels.
- Return to Stock/Place in Primary Pick (for use with warehousing module): puts the stock item(s) back into stock so it can be sold.
- In the Default column tick the checkbox for the return reason you wish to appear as the default on the Customer Return.
Note: you must only tick one, otherwise the system will use the first default.
- If using EPOS, tick the EPOS checkbox for the default EPOS return reason.
Note: you must only tick one, otherwise the system will just use the first default.
- Tick the Hide checkbox for any Return Reasons that are no longer being used. This will remove them from the appropriate drop down fields.
- Repeat for each new return reason.
- Press to save the changes. + or click